As I’ve noted in the past, I have a D-Link DIR-655 wireless router. Mine is a little older, so I have the A4 hardware version — the latest is Rev B. Over the past week or so, I’ve experienced a number of connection problems.
I’ve actually had similar problems in the past — where web pages wouldn’t resolve even though my DSL connection was (seemingly) just fine. For the most part, I was able to solve these issues by enabling the “Advanced DNS Service” at:
Setup > Internet > Manual Internet Connection Setup
But even with that enabled, I recently started having more trouble. After a bit of digging, I discovered that there was a newer version of the firmware available (and has been for quite awhile), so I figured I’d upgrade to see if it helped.
Unfortunately, for the older Rev A versions, the firmware isn’t quite as easy to find. Here’s a direct link for those that need it: link. (it’s an ftp link)
I was on firmware version 1.34NA and the latest is version 1.35NA. For the Rev B versions, the (current) latest is version 2.10NA.
Once you’ve downloaded the firmware, unzip it and go to
Tools > Firmware to initiate the upload. Note that this can be done from either a Mac or a PC.
Word to the wise: The firmware update will likely wipe out your settings, so start by going to
Tools > System to download your current settings. You can re-upload from the same place after the update.
Oh, and if you’re not sure how to access your router…
You can access the admin interface by pointing your browser to 192.168.0.1.
As for my connection problems, they seem to have improved, though it’s really too early to tell if the new firmware solved the problem or if it’s just a coincidence.
Update: The improvement was apparently just a coincidence, so I’ve switched to OpenDNS. Fingers crossed… Hopefully this helps.