How to Fix a Sony TV That Won’t Turn On

by Michael on October 24, 2009 · 190 comments

Back in 2003, we got a beast of a 36 inch Sony WEGA TV. It was a great TV for us over the years, but yesterday it refused to power up. The power supply would click like it was trying to power up, but it just wouldn’t come on.

We tried unplugging it to see if that would help, but it didn’t. Frustrated, I turned my attention to the internet. What I discovered surprised me…

For starters there are a number of people out there with similar Sony TV models that won’t turn on. It seems that the most common cause of this problem is a bad power supply (or some component thereof), and having it fixed professionally will likely cost $300-$500. That’s the bad news. The good news is that there is a (perhaps temporary) fix that you can do yourself in just a few minutes.

Fixing a Sony WEGA TV that won’t turn on

The power supply on this style of TV is located near the bottom of the unit in the back right corner (as you view the TV from the front). Beyond this, there is (apparently) a humidity sensor of some sort on the power supply that prevents the TV from coming on when there is too much ambient moisture.

Here’s the fix:

Start by unplugging your TV set. Next, simply direct a hair dryer (on high heat) through the vents along the lower, back corner of the right side of your TV set. Here again, “right side” assumes that you’re looking at the TV set from the front. Let it blow through the vents for a good 2-3 minutes then plug it back in and fire it up. If you’re lucky, it will function normally.

When I tried this yesterday, it didn’t work at first. After a bit more blowing, however, the TV powered up and continued to work for the remainder of the day. This morning, it turned on just fine, but then failed to turn back on a short while later. We then tried it after lunch and it worked fine again (all without firing up the hair dryer).

It’s unclear to me why this works. It may be that the humidity sensor is going bad and had become, or perhaps there’s a problem with dust somehow interfering. It seems unlikely to be the latter, as the heat appears to be necessary to get things back up and running.

Regardless, our TV is now functional if a bit unstable. I’m guessing that we’ll be able to limp along for awhile before it completely fails, but at least this buys us some time to shop for a replacement.

Oh, and just for reference, our Sony TV is model # KV-36HS500, and one of the key symptoms of this problem (aside from a failure to turn on) is that the power light will flash six times after hitting the power button.

{ 190 comments… read them below or add one }

naveen July 30, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Awesome advice. I used the blower Idea and Dont know if its a coincindence or just a fix, It worked. I will plan on keeping this for a while. SONY 36″ dont even knwo the model number.

naveen July 31, 2011 at 2:51 pm

your are awesome man.. I tried again today and its not a coincidence. it worked like a charm .

MPS August 4, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I second that–you are awesome! Saved us! The blow dryer worked. I’m marking your site. You rock!

reddy August 5, 2011 at 7:43 am

I dont know how much to thank you.. even this evening, the blow dryer idea worked excellent. Usually I try 3-4 times before the tv turns on, didnt have to do it anymore. First time it works

kathy August 7, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Wow. The blow dryer worked! It’s a little hard to get to that spot based on how our tv is setup but we did it. The dust flying around in the air was like a snowstorm (like I said, hard to get back there…) but at least the tv works for now. Yay!!!!

Renee August 22, 2011 at 9:50 am

THANK YOU–hairdryer fix is working for me! I have a 27″ Trinitron Wega (KV-27FS100). My standby light was blinking 4 times instead of 6, but now that it’s been ‘blow-dried’ it doesn’t blink at all! It took a little bit of trying to aim the dryer in the right spot.

I’m glad I didn’t give up when the hairdryer didn’t work in the first few minutes.

At first, I just laid the hair dryer on its side and blew it straight into the vent with no result. I finally picked it up and directed it by hand to different areas of the vent. After 5 minutes of this, the TV would turn on for 2 or 3 seconds and I’d get sound and picture this time, but still it turned itself off. It worked finally when I aimed the hairdryer through the vent for several minutes toward what would be the center bottom of the television’s base. Success! The television stayed on, perfect picture and sound.

I accidentally turned it off a minute later, but now it obeyed the power button and turned on immediately. No flashing power lights this time. Amazing.

ace in a holee August 22, 2011 at 3:42 pm

wow really worked thanks alot our sony is now on for everyone else just leave the tv on then u wont have to do it agin

nicole August 23, 2011 at 6:33 pm

i tried this and it totally worked :) thanks!!

Steve August 27, 2011 at 6:03 pm

thanks alot bro!

Rashid August 27, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Thanks for the info dude it worked

james August 29, 2011 at 7:46 pm

not sure if this is the right place to ask about tv questions but I have a tv that I can turn on will run for about 30 seconds will be distorted hazy foggy picture and then will turn off all by itself .. can u help ? Thanks

Howard/Sue September 7, 2011 at 4:03 pm

The heat gun did the trick!
How did you know this?
Thanks

Howard/Sue September 8, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Same thing today
Worked again

Shelly September 10, 2011 at 4:21 pm

You say to use the blow dryer on the bottom right which is left if you are facing the tv from the back and right if you extend your right hand to the back from the front? well i did the dryer trick and I’m not quite sure where to blow the heat into 55 inch wega sony Help!!! I want to feel like the others feel when it worked.

Howard/Sue September 17, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Worked for about a week.
My neighbor just replace the I C.
Now its working again.

Maria September 29, 2011 at 11:02 am

Thank You!! It worked!! :)

Yesterdays September 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm

thanks google,i,m wandering if its dust messing with the sensor.p.s thanks other guy.

Wei October 1, 2011 at 5:41 am

It worked! I followed the instruction and my Sony TV fired up. Thanks so much. You are an angel.

Sparky October 2, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I was skeptical when I read this article, but it worked for me!

Thanks!

Don October 3, 2011 at 7:17 pm

WORKS! Holy crap. My wife tried it this weekend, and no go but she is not very patient.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a new TV today. Thought I would give it one last try, slow warm blow on the lower right hand side (just like you said from looking at the TV). Fired up on first try. I hope it holds, it had been a tough month with bills. Thanks!

Rachel October 3, 2011 at 11:11 pm

It wont work for me. I have tried and tried. It just keeps flashing red and green but wont turn on. Its been more than an hour i think i should give up now. : (

Ray October 3, 2011 at 11:56 pm

It was actually a rainy day and I have the tv in the garage. The sensor must have been doing its job. I was getting ready to throw the tv away not knowing about the sensor. Thank you for your valuable information. It prevented me from throwing it away. It worked like a charm.

Howard/Sue October 4, 2011 at 11:56 am

Replace the I C’s
My cost $ 20.00 for I C’s on eBay.
Gift card for my neighbor to install the new I C’s
Cheep fix.

Teri October 6, 2011 at 2:50 pm

This same problem has been happening to us for weeks now. I’m so glad I found this site and that I’m not the only person experiencing this sort of problem. Everyone who responded seemed to have great results. I can’t wait to go home and try it. I was so excited, I emailed this to my boyfriend, who is home today. Hope he opens his mail and tries this. I’ll keep you posted if it works. I agree with the other writers, How come Sony isn’t aware of this problem?

marc October 10, 2011 at 5:47 am

The dryer works! I used to have to click on the tv 50 clicks before it would turn on. I used the dryer for about a minute and pluged it in and it came right on. Thanks

KJE October 11, 2011 at 9:16 am

KV-36HS500 would not turn, it would sit and blink. I found this site, did the blow dryer for 1 minute or so, plugged the TV in and hit the power button and bingo, I have a TV again. Repair man gave me a price of $600 to fix it 3 days earlier. Thanks so much for posting this good information!

Teri October 11, 2011 at 10:06 am

Hi, I’m following up on my post a few days ago. I finally tried it over the weekend and have to say the TV went on like a dream. I’m glad I don’t have to run out and buy a new TV just yet. Will do it this way until the TV blows.

pj October 19, 2011 at 10:20 pm

the recommendation sounded crazy but worked like a charm. Thank you!!!

Hugh October 20, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Thank you so much!!! Worked to perfection!! My wife had the the 2 Men and a Truck headed to the house to “bury” my football buddy!!! I taped the d… TV controller so it can’t be turned off again!!

Tracy October 23, 2011 at 1:20 pm

You rock! It’s football Sunday and the TV wouldn;t work in the mancave. Followed your directions and the tv turned right on. No more pouting from hubby! Thank You!!!!!!!

chris October 26, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Unbelievable! This really worked! My husband thought I was crazy and
he was ready to pitch the TV and buy a new one. My fingers are crossed
this does the trick!
We recently did some in home remodeling and there was alot of fine
dust in the vents also.
Probably a good idea to vacumn the vents every now and again.
Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Kim November 1, 2011 at 9:52 am

This worked for me too. Recently did some remodeling and am hoping it was a dust problem. Thanks and let’s hope it stays this way.

erick bruno November 1, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I literally cant believe this worked! I am really happy i tried this and props to you dude you are a genius. Didnt work the first time u really gotta aim toward the base of the tv and blowdry for at least 5 minutes

Ian November 8, 2011 at 6:25 am

Oh! thanks for the power of the internet – thanks for the info for how to fix the Sony Trinitron on/off switching problem. 5 mins with the blow dryer is all it took, TV switches on OK now. I agree with some of you, did not wish to buy new TV yet as the picture quality on the Trinitron is as good, if not better than some of the HD TV´s I have seen at friends.

bill November 8, 2011 at 10:12 pm

my tv wont do anything! not even a lashing light.

Lisa November 10, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Thanks for the tip- it took a few tries and a few days as i had to be out of town . I left it unplugged while I was gone. I plugged it in when I returned and it would not turn on. I Used the hair dryer and my vacuum chord when I returned-after a few tries it turned on! I turned it on and off before I had to leave, today and then turned it off. I returned home and had the same problem- flashing red light and it wouldn’t turn on. I unplugged it again and used the hair dryer- it took a few tries but it turned on, again. I am going to leave my TV on as I cannot foresee a life of having to blow dry my TV every time I want to turn it on! Thanks again for the info!

gina November 11, 2011 at 11:34 am

Thanks for this tip I searched all over the internet and this is the only thing that worked. Now I know what will be on our Christmas list this year a new T.V. Thanks again for the tip.

AB November 23, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Blow dryer worked you are the man.

Rick November 25, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Awesome! I have a 34″ XBR and intermittently had the blinking standby light. It finally would not turn on at all but the standby light would blink 6 times. Did a quick search, found your site, tried the hair dryer and BAM came on on the first try. It has been raining here the last few days for the first time in a LONG time and we’ve had the windows open. I guess that humidity sensor is pretty sensitive. THANK YOU for posting the fix.

Tia November 26, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Omg!!! This worked perfect. I have a Phillips tv and it was doing the same thing. Thought i would at least try…and it totally worked. Tv turned on in one try and it doesnt make the buzzing noise it made before either. Still scared to turn it off though. But i will keep the blowdryer handy just in case. GREAT ADVICE!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!

smokeee November 27, 2011 at 12:45 pm

i had the same 6 blinking reds issue. i read this and was about to order the necessary tools/material then did some more searching and found some people had used a blow dryer in the back bottom right corner into the vents. i just tried it and it worked! prior to using the blow dryer i had attempted to turn it on for an hour with no luck, only clicking of power then the blinking reds over and over….then right after the blow dryer into the vents i plugged it back in and tried the power twice and it came on!

H November 28, 2011 at 6:34 pm

This worked on the first try! You saved Monday night football!

Derrick Clinton December 2, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Wow!! I felt really weird using a blow dryer on my Sony Triniton but this huge TV was me and wife’s gift to each other after we got married 11 years ago. When it started acting crazy we thought well it has done it’s time and maybe we need to let it go peacefully, but 11 years it’s llike a part of the family and after reading your post I would like to say thanks for helping me keep a memory and family member around for a while longer. Thanks for “Keeping It Simple”

Syed December 3, 2011 at 5:58 pm

What an awesome trick. It worked within a couple of minutes of using the blow dryer.

Mary December 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Our Sony trintron won’t turn on even with blowing with hair dryer. No green lights blinking nothing. Unplugged it and replugged –nothing.

naveen December 6, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I have been trying to blow the dryer since yesterday and the TV is not turning on. It used to earlier. I am planning on cutting open the plastic grill on the right hand corner towards the end and hope that the heat penetrates sooner to wherever it needs to go. Is this even recommended..if so- whats the best way to cut open the plastic casing of the TV ?

George December 10, 2011 at 7:25 am

Wow! It worked lyk majic man. Am all the way in ghana, africa. But hey, it workd lyk majic, thanks so much for this trick

Keith December 10, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Unplugged mine, used the hairdryer on high heat and very close to the cabinet at the location described for 3+ minutes. Plugged it in and it worked. Left the hairdryer on for and additional 3+ minutes for good measure. We will see about the longevity of the fix but good for now. Thanks.

JSE December 12, 2011 at 10:47 am

My TV hasn’t turned on it over 6 months. I tried the hair dryer trick and it works. WOW!

It was giving 6 red blinks.

al December 19, 2011 at 4:39 pm

DUDE!!!!! it works!!!! my kv 34 hs420 waas acting up like you described I was getting 6 blinks. the set got put away until I saw this and after we moved it away from a window it sat 4 months near a heating vent It WORKS!!!!! going in my bedroom THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!