Okay… After a firmware update and changing over to OpenDNS, we’re still suffering from DNS issues. I’ve checked with my neighbor who has the same ISP as us and his connection is rock solid, suggesting that we have a hardware issue.
Assuming that I’m right, it has to either be our DSL modem or our router. While the DIR-655 has always done a decent job, I’ve never been crazy about it. The signal strength is good but not great, and I’ve run into a few glitches here and there in the two years since I first set it up.
Thus… I decided to start with a new router. I went with the ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless N900 Gigabit router. It’s not cheap, but it gets high marks on Amazon and in all of the reviews that I’ve run across.
It should arrive tomorrow and I hope to have it up and running shortly thereafter.