This is mostly just a note to myself for future reference… We’ve been having trouble finding Xbox Live matches in Call of Duty: Black Ops. As it turns out, our NAT was set to strict, and we ended up getting stuck on “Finding Match Quality.”
We tried several things to open up our NAT, including enabling UPnP on our router (didn’t help) and setting up port forwarding. This also didn’t help, but it seems like a common enough solution to Xbox Live problems that I wanted to save the details.
As it turns out, Black Ops uses the standard Xbox Live ports, which include…
UDP: 53, 80, 88, 3074
TCP: 53, 3074
If you have a D-Link DIR-655 router like we do, you can enable port forwarding by pointing your browser to http://192.168.0.1/, logging in, clicking on the “Advanced” tab at the top, and then selecting “Port Forwarding” on the left.
Unfortunately, this didn’t help… Our NAT was still set to STRICT. After a bit of further investigation, I discovered that our DSL modem was the source of our problems. And that, my friends, will be the subject of my next post. 🙂