With Halloween just around the corner, I wanted to share a quick tip that will keep your pumpkin from rotting. Truth be told, you can’t keep the mold at bay forever, but you can slow the process considerably.
The key to keeping your pumpkin from rotting is to periodically disinfect it. This may sound a bit odd, but it’s quite easy to achieve. Perhaps the easiest solution is to mix up a dilute bleach solution and mist your pumpkin with it on a daily basis.
According to a pumpkin carving site that I ran across, an even better approach is to use Clorox Cleanup Cleaner With Bleach, as the plain bleach solution can result in a “slimy” pumpkin.
Just be sure to mist both the inside and outside, and also make sure that you hit the insides of the features that you’ve cut into the pumpkin. As long as you’re diligent, you can easily extend the life of your pumpkin.